Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Disability explanation

Its been a while since I have posted but Like I said on my last post, I will explain what my disability will be.
I finally got my findings back from Washington and they were a bit less than I expected. I ended up getting 70% from the DOD and 90% from the VA. The VA is what I was hoping to get 100% on. What that means is that I will be getting about $1700.00 a month for disability. That, plus social security should help me get to what I am at right now. I can be collecting social security until I am able to get a job. Because I don't, and probably can't get a job doing anything that I would want to do I am going to go to school instead. Because I have been in the Navy for longer than 3 years I will get 100% of my 9/11 G.I. Bill. It will help because I won't have the extra money to pay for school.
The reason that I say I was hoping to get a higher percentage is because It will get me more benefits. Even though at 90% I am still going to be covered in all my medical. Even when i do get a family they will be covered with health insurance for much less than anywhere else. 
Once I am retired I am going to be able to put in an appeal in order to get a higher percentage. I feel that there is some things that are getting overlooked. The VA gave me 50% disability for my SCI and 40% for my shoulder. Because of how my shoulder is recovering I feel that I should be getting more of a percentage. I still don't have full range of motion in my shoulder and there is still numbness in my arm that I don't think will ever go away. That is why I feel that I deserve more.
Another reason that I am trying to get a higher percentage is because I am trying to look at the future. The only thing that the DOD and VA looked at is what is going on in the present. I know that down the road, no matter how good of shape I stay in and no matter how good I take care of myself I know that this is going to affect how I live in the future. I know that as things happen to me I can get the VA to increase my percentage but I am trying to deal with the head ache now instead of in the future when it will be a real problem.
There are a few things that I also think could help with my percentage. The biggest thing is that I do think I have tinnitus. It doesn't really cross my mind much because I always have music or the television on. However, when it is quite I think it does affect me. I cannot sleep in silence. I either have to have the TV on or a fan making noise. I have tried it and the silence makes it so I have a very faint ringing in my ears. It is of course from my job and how noisy everything I do is. Other things are the trouble I have with bowel/bladder. It is gross and I don't really want to go into that but that is also something big that can get me a higher percentage. 
I have a meeting with the Navy career counselors tomorrow that should explain more of the benefits that I will be getting so I can explain that at the end of the day. 

Good things come to people who wait, but better things come to those who go out and get them. ~Anonymous



No comments:

Post a Comment