Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Path

The path my life has taken is one that I never ever though would happen. From surgeries to deployments to injuries, its all been unimaginable. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. People hear that and don't understand.
Through the course of my life there has been some crazy things that have happened. They have mostly been in the last 10 years, but they are still crazy. Getting a plastic plate put in my head? If you had asked me if I thought that would ever have happened what I was younger I would have just laughed at you. I have always been a risk taker, but at the same time I have taken calculated risks. Up until my head injury I had never had anything worse that a cut on my leg. Now I have a plate in my head, fused vertebrae, and plates in my shoulder!
Through all of this I have never lost who I truly am. I have learned from each and every experience I have been through and grown because of it. I have met some of the most amazing and astounding people. There are only a handful of people from high school that I still keep in contact with. But there are people that I have met in the navy and through my injuries that I never want to lose out of my life.
The thought that everything happens for a reason is true. Sometimes it is very hard to see the reason, such as my motorcycle accident. From my accident, however, I have been able to stay in San Diego, meet some incredible people, and affect the lives around me for the better. Now, I think those are some damn good reasons.
My mom was telling me the other day that she wishes she could have traded places with me on that 10th day of July, 2013 (the day off my accident). I told her no! Not a chance in hell I would let that happen! First off because I couldn't handle seeing my mother go through the things I have gone through, and she doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle. But also because my life would be so incredibly different if it hadn't happened. I would have been transferred to Maryland and not be able to be with my family as much as I can be right now. I would have missed out on meeting the incredible nurses, doctors, and therapists that help me get to where I am. I wouldn't have joined Match.com and met some of the women whom have become friends, one has actually became my best friend and true companion. And I wouldn't have known the other patients, that are going through similar things that I am going through, to help me push me to accept nothing but my absolute best.
I never would have started this blog. And I never would have been able to inspire people the way I do right now. Honestly though, I don't feel like I am someone that people should be looking to for motivation. To me, getting better was the only option I had. It isn't like I chose the harder path because I wanted to inspire people. I chose the path I did because that is truly the only option available.
I want everyone that has had a spinal cord injury to remember that you can do it. No matter what it is, set your mind to do something and don't let anyone get in your way. The doctors were telling me that I needed to have a backup plan in case I was unable to walk out of the hospital. I just ignored them and kept striving for my goal. That is what everyone needs to do. Dont worry about the ones who doubt you. Make your path the way you want it and stick to it. The only thing that would hold you back is you!


No comments:

Post a Comment