Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The life of Tim

I have had an amazing life, no matter how you look at it. I grew up with a normal life, an amazing family and great friends. It was completely normal right up until I joined the Navy actually.
When I was a kid I played soccer like everyone else. While in middle school I play some ice hockey at the local ice rink. Had awesome friends growing up that I would love to hang out with. When I got to high school my mom introduced me to water polo. My uncle played it in high school and thought that I would enjoy it. And oh how she was right!! I absolutely love water polo! I wish I had gone to college to play it. In high school I played water polo and was on the swim team. I had such great times in high school! Looking back, the only reason I went to class was so that I could play sports after. I know I am a smart guy but I hated sitting in class. Unfortunately I only did just enough to keep my grades up so I could play sports. If I had really applied myself I would have aced high school. But oh well.
After high school I worked for a while. My hight school had a "grad night" at an indoor go-kart track. I loved it so I actually got a job there after graduation!! It was an awesome place to work. Great people and all the racing I could handle when I was off work. Unfortunately that place went out of business so I had to move on. I got a job at Hollister Clothing Co. While working there I went and talked to the Navy recruiter. I "joined" the navy in April of 2005 but stayed home for about 7 months. It gave me time to say goodbye to everyone and get ready to leave.
I left for the navy in November of 2005. I spent the average 2 months in Great Lakes, Illinois for boot camp. Great Lakes is right next to Chicago, and Chicago in the winter, what a wonderful place! I hope that everyone got the sarcasm in that last statement. From Illinois I went to Pensacola, Florida for my "A" school. This is where all the fun in my life began. I made it through Aircrew school and Rescue Swimmer School with no problems at all. When I got to "A" school that is when I learned that I had, what is called, Fibrous Dysplasia in my left forehead. Within two weeks of my diagnosis I was in Birmingham, Alabama getting surgery on my head. It took two surgeries and a plastic plate in my forehead but I made it through that just fine. I was on hold for about six months in Florida waiting to get a waiver in order to be able to fly still.
I received my waiver and moved on from there. I moved out to San Diego, California for my next schooling. I started FRAC, or Fleet Replacement Air Crew, in October of 2008. It took me about 10 months to complete my FRAC but passed that with flying colors. I was transferred to HSM-71 right there in San Diego for my sea duty. As soon as I transferred I was deployed to the 7th Fleet AOR. That is the 7th Floor Area Of Responsibility to those not in the military. That was a 5 month deployment and was a great learning experience. When I got back from that deployment I was riding my motorcycle and was in my first accident.
I am going to stop right there and tell everyone, I KNOW. It isn't a safe hobby and I should have stopped after my first accident. Some may understand what a passion it is and why I got back on a bike. I absolutely love it and to be honest, I would ride again. I am NOT going to though so don't worry about that. I can't put my friends and family through that again, let alone myself.
Anyways, I didn't have any physical injuries from that just a really bad concussion. The Navy qualified it as a TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury. Whatever that means right Mom? (She is going to kill me reading that haha) I was in therapy for that injury for about 2 months. Once done with therapy I went back to work but wasn't allowed to fly. I guess studies have shown that if you get knocked unconscious you are at risk of seizures. I was just fine but had to work in Operations at the squadron for a year until I received my waiver to fly. Again, I made it through with flying colors.
After that I was deployed 2 more times without any incident. Deployed the first time for seven months and the second for nine. Good times there for sure! Sarcasm again... After this last deployment I was riding my motorcycle again. I hit a bump in the road, was knocked off balance on my bike and wasn't able to get set for the turn right after. I ended up going off the road and "high siding" my motorcycle.
The second and FINAL motorcycle crash was much more serious than the first. I was left paralyzed and in bad shape. I broke my clavicle, scapula, a few ribs, and some vertebrae. Also punctured my lung, good times. I ended up spending 85 days as an inpatient in the hospital. It took me almost 2 months to walk again. The thing that I didn't do, however, was listen to the doctors. They kept telling me to have a backup plan so that I wasn't disappointed when I couldn't walk out of the hospital. Well I sure as hell showed them.
I worked as hard as my body would let me in order to get back to where I was and I am still working on it. I got the therapy 5 days a week and workout at the gym up to 7 days a week. I have been taking my weekends off lately because my body needs the rest, but I don't like it.

I WILL succeed and I WILL get back to as close to where I was before my accident. I set up this blog in order to vent my feelings a bit but mostly to inspire and motivate people to push themselves. Your body isn't what is stopping you, your mind is. Strong mind, strong body! Keep it up everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment