Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Time for an update

Hey everyone, I think its about time that I update everyone on what is going on with me.

I am still going to the VA for my physical and occupational therapy every day. Also on fridays I go to the pool over there and have a good pool workout. I am still pushing myself as hard a humanly possible to get better and back to as close to normal as possible.

My physical status is still slowly improving. I am getting stronger with each week. The range of motion in my left shoulder is still lacking and I work on that as much as possible. I measured the circumference of my legs the other day and my left leg is still about an inch smaller. That is not a surprise to me because I have to walk with it every day. I know that I have posted about it before but I am able to "run" now. I think tomorrow when I get to therapy I am going to try to run outside of the parallel bars. Maybe do some laps around the outside of the SCI gym. My arms are still off, but that was always the case. Being right handed, it made it so that I did most everything with my right side so that help build up the muscles more. I am working on leveling out the muscles of me body so that both sides are closer to the same. All in all I just need to keep pushing myself harder and harder. I would say there is an end in sight but I don't think there is ever and end point. I can ALWAYS improve and ALWAYS get stronger and better.

On to the mental and emotional side of everything. I have been getting out of the house more and hanging with friends. One of my best friends was a student at the VA while I was there. We always have a good time hanging out and it makes it easier because she knows my back story better than anyone else. Also, my best friend is home in Austria for a while but that drives me to work harder so that when she does come back, she will be impressed and proud! Mentally, sometimes things are hard to handle, but I always get past it. The best way for me to get past it is to just look at where I was less than a year ago and compare it to where I am now. I don't like to say it too much due to the fact that A, I don't like talking about myself and B, it isn't that big of a deal, but I have come a hell of a long way from where I was.

The most important thing I can say to anyone in this situation is to never give up. Your body is so much stronger and more capable than you think, you just need to push yourself to achieve your goals.

If anyone needs help getting through things like this please just leave me a message and I can email you. We can talk about things and I will help motivate in any way that I can.



A few tears won't kill you, only heal you. A little pain won't destroy you, only strengthen you. So cry, forgive, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment