Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Working on it

Well, I am working on my high rep, low weight workouts for my legs. So far so good. The other day at the gym I did 500 hamstring focused shallow squats. I can still only do them on the smith machine but it is getting a bit easier. I started with no weight, doing sets of 25 reps. After doing a warmup set, I started with no weight and went up 5 pounds evert set. I finally stopped at 45 pound weights on each side. Ten sets on the way up and ten sets on the way down. I thought about continuing up until I was unable to do ten straight reps without stopping but decided that it would be better if I didn't push it too hard. I know a lot of you are thinking "I think that 500 reps is pushing it too hard." Well, it isn't for me. As I said, I actually stopped early because I am supposed to be doing low weight workouts. I knocked out the high rep part of the exercise.
After, I tried to do single leg, leg press. It didn't work out exactly like I wanted it to but any work is good work. I used my right leg to "help" with the exercise but I feel I used it more to push the weight rather than to just help a bit. Ill just have to try again on my next workout.
I have also started to do a type of hamstring workout similar to the lying hamstring curl. What I do is take 10 pound ankle weights and strap them on. Then I lay down on my stomach and curl one leg at a time. I do it with a fast pace to make it look like I am kicking like I would while swimming with fins on. I know that is hard to picture but basically I am alternating each leg. I do that for a total of 25 times per leg. Usually around 4-5 sets. I am trying to work on getting my fast twitch muscles to strengthen and start firing again. There are a whole lot of problems still but I am trying to work through them. So far, its going well. Only time will tell how long it will take.



“Get comfortable with being uncomfortable!” ― Jillian Michaels


No comments:

Post a Comment